Blogging my amateur attempts to create a 100 Good Wishes Quilt for our future daughter from China

Sunday 12 August 2007

My first post

I've (foolishly?? We shall see!!) decided to try my hand at making a 100 Good Wishes Quilt for our future child from China. There is, apparently, a tradition in Northern China that family and friends contribute cloth to make a child a quilted jacket. This was taken up by prospective China adopters and morphed into making a bed quilt from 100 pieces of fabric collected from family, friends and other prospective adopters.

I've joined a couple of online swap groups so far, and we'll see how it goes :-)

In anticipation of joining in this tradition I bought my fabric yesterday and it is now drying on the line. I have to wash it before doing anything else to it (to pre-shrink the fabric), then I have to iron it and then I have to cut the required size squares and send them and a wish to the people who have offered to swap with me. As I am cutting with scissors not a rotary cutter (next purchase - don't tell Mr Messy lol) I need to remember to cut the squares an inch larger than the size stated by my swapees.

I've seen other 100 Good Wishes Quilt Blogs and the wishes are very ornate, scrapbooked style, so no scribbling on the back of envelopes lol :-) Tonight's mission should I chose to accept it - start making wishes!! Makes me sound like some sort of fairy :-)

No comments: